It’s hot in here, don’t you think? Maybe it’s the sunnier weather or maybe it’s the latest Diet Coke commercial (steamy, huh?).
The Coca-Cola Company first introduced the idea of a soda “spokes-hunk” almost 20 years ago with Lucky Vanous, and we’re sure happy the tradition is back. In celebration of the new campaign and Diet Coke’s 30th Anniversary, the cooks at Coke crafted a decadent chocolate cake with a Diet Coke twist. Get in on the fizzy fun below!
Diet Coke Chocolate Cake
By Coca-Cola Journey
Makes 12 slices
What You’ll Need:
1 cup self-raising flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup soft brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup Diet Coke
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 medium eggs
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
1/2-cup plain chocolate (70% cocoa), broken into pieces
3 tablespoons Diet Coke
3 tablespoons buttermilk
What You’ll Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch round spring release cake pan and line the base with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
3. Put the butter in a saucepan and melt over gentle heat. Add the Diet Coke to the butter and stir to mix, making sure mixture does not boil. Remove from the heat.
4. Beat together the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract.
5. Quickly whisk the cola mixture into the dry ingredients, then whisk in the buttermilk mixture. Mix gently but thoroughly.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for about 40 minutes.
7. Leave to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
8. To make frosting, place the chocolate and Diet Coke in a saucepan. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring until the chocolate has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk. Place the cake on a plate and spoon over the chocolate mixture. Serve and enjoy!